My tangle pattern "Travertine"

I received an email from Debi, asking if there was a 'herringbone' tangle.  The closest I could think of was "Tasket", a tangle that Sandy Bartholomew and I worked on together.  But though it is based on a herringbone type pattern, it isn't quite the same.  I'm sure others have done one (please, let me know if you are aware of one!), but I decide to come up with steps to one of my own.

A tip: When you draw the initial zig zag, be sure the first line on the left is slanting down.  If it slants up, you'll need to skip step 3.  This seems obvious, but I managed to mess myself up that way.  Sometimes, you are concentrating on the individual steps and not the whole, so it's easy to miss the obvious, lol!

This is also a try at yet another type of pattern template. 

I've had these 12 square grids for quite a while--good for more complex patterns or for adding variations, etc.  I've just always cut away the squares I don't use for the pattern steps, figuring why make the template any bigger than necessary.

Today, the thought hit me. I like practicing new tangles on a grid, so I can get a feel for length and width, and how everything ties together.  And, perhaps, so would you.  I've left the extra grid squares so that you can print the whole thing out, and use the grid to draw the pattern yourself.

Let me know if you find this helpful, or just a waste of paper and file size!



I'm using my own 'Travertine' herringbone pattern, and Carole Ohl's "Bitten", which is based off of a houndstooth.  They seemed like a good match!

Comments

Post a Comment