Monday's Mis?Adventures in Watercolor

Spent most of my artistic day gessoing some stuff and practicing with my Koi watercolors.  

I did this exercise from 'Mastering the Watercolor Wash' by Joe Garcia.  This exercise was in creating a flat wash.  I didn't quite succeed, but I'm happy enough.  One thing I did discover. I found some 300 lb Fabriano Artistico Warm Press that I forgot I had.  This is NOT cheap paper, but oh my.... People--it isn't just the quality of your paint.  Paper matters!

I didn't have the colors suggested in the book, so I just used the colors closest in value in my Koi Field kit.  This is a good exercise.  I'll be doing it again.


After doing this exercise, I was again impressed with the fact that I need to get a feel for the concentration--the amount of water to the amount of paint--in my mixes.  I decided to play with that.  No exercises from anywhere, I just did a zentangle.  Each section was a different color, and I tried to get at least three values just by adding more water.  I had a lot of fun with this one.


Lastly, at about midnight, half asleep, lol, I decided to satisfy my curiousity about how well I could mix up flesh tones using the Koi colors in my kit.  Did a 15 minute sketch--poor girl.  She has different size eyes!  But it looks like I'll be able to do portraits with this kit if I wish.

Comments

  1. So glad you published your first attempts I love the first one it looks like it was fun to make and thanks for sharing the things you learned it gives me heart to try something new myself
    Johnina :^A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Johnina!

    I'm so glad that this helps inspire you. It helps me as well. The people I share with bring me new perspective, and show me things that I am overlooking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment