Review of the Pilot Drawing Pen

Earlier this week Jetpens did a review on several of the drawing pens that they carry.  It was an excellent review except that there were no examples of drawings!  I had to do something about that didn't I?

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to buy one of every one of the pens listed, but I bought the ones that I found the most intriguing-the others I'll get sooner or later!

The Pilot Drawing Pen comes in 3 colors, and 6 sizes.  This drawing was done completely with a .05 point-size.

The Jetpens reviews and other comments I read spoke about the light line they got with the DR, but I discovered a secret.

You can vary the line width and darkness by the angle of the pen.  The tips have a fairly flat point, so if you hold it mostly straight down, more like a brush, you can get a dark, bold line.  Angle the pen so you are using the edge and you can get faint wispy lines.  Change your angle and change the line.  At some angles the pen feels scratchy.

The pens are described as water resistant--they are not fully waterproof.  The ink doesn't smear, bleed or pool when wet, but it smudges.  It fact it almost looks like the smudging you get with a pencil.  I definitely would not recommend using watercolors over this ink, but you might use a waterbrush and lightly wet some areas for shading.  I used a high quality paper (Clairefontaine Carnet de Voyage sketchbook) and the effect might be different on other papers, so I'd test first, and expect a learning curve.
Before adding water                                                                         After I used a waterbrush
I love a pen that lets me vary the marks I make.  With a lot of pens I would have needed three different point sizes to do the same drawing.  It takes a little playing around, learning to control the line, and some people might find that frustrating.  But I found it well worth the effort!

The next review up will be on the Ohto Graphic Liner Needle Point Drawing Pens!




Comments

  1. Thank you...I think! I had "window shopped" at Jet Pens a while back, but as a result of your posts, I've spent about $100 or more with them over the past few weeks. I've bought Deleter pens, Pilot drawing pens, the Marvy technical drawing pen, and the Ohto pens...and then the bag, pencil cases, and two pairs of scissors! They should pay you a commission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I wish I received a commission from JetPens. It would be nice to get some of the money I spend with them, back, lol!

      You'll love your pens!

      Delete

Post a Comment