Raining...Cat and Dog

I have a lot of catch-paint pages in my journals.  You know, those pages where you add the leftover blobs of paint, ink, scraps or whatever you have left over from another project.

Frankly, those pages can get pret-ty ugly.  You just keep layering on stuff hoping that if you collage over and repaint, you'll figure out a good way to save the page.

I had one like that in my Dyan Reaveley Creative journal and I thought it was time to try out a save.  I'm pretty good at picking out figures from among the blobs, and I found a dog and a cat.


To get this, I took a Montana Marker (big clear tubes filled with acrylic paint and with huge chisel shaped tips) with light blue ink, and colored, leaving only the negative shapes of the cat and dog.  The paint in the marker is transparent enough that it allowed the colors and textures below to show through.

I liked what was happening-it made me think of seeing figures through a haze of heavy rain.  I felt drawing or adding more color would disturb that.  Suddenly, I remembered some leftover shapes from an Amazing Clear Cast resin pour I did with a touch of fluorescent orange. Perfect.  The resin added a touch of color, and a 'wet' glisteny look to the page.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good scan or photo that shows how the resin actually looks on the page. Either it almost disappeared or the light caught it and made it seem horribly shiny.

It came out somewhere between this and what you see on the photo above.

The real moral of this story though, is to go with your gut instinct.

You see my husband felt the animals needed their eyes defined and some white to bring them out more.  Against my better judgement, I did it. Ack. The animals are definitely more distinct but I think it ruined the whole rainy ambiance.  He likes them better though, and making him happy isn't a bad thing.

What do you think?



Comments

  1. I like both, but the second one definitely shows them more - I think you should frame this, I really like what you did here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really liking the Montana Markers. It was really quick and easy to cover a goodly sized space.

      Delete
  2. Both are beautiful but the second is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So far the second seems to be the winner, lol!

      Delete
  3. Those resin spills would make REALLY cool masks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So amazing!! I love the first one of the cat and the second one of the dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll defintely be playing around more with using the Montana Markers to carve out negative shapes.

      Delete

Post a Comment