Journal52 Prompt Week 28: Technology ‪#‎Journal52‬, ‪#‎ArtJournaling‬, ‪#LifeImitatesDoodles

I really came up empty on the week 28 prompt--Technology.  After a week of wracking my brain, I flipped through my journal and noticed it had been about 8 weeks since I did a word-based page.  Curious, I counted back and saw that there was 7 weeks between the last two word-based pages.  Obviously, it was time for a word-based page!

A couple of things are different from my previous word-based pages, so I've pasted a little about my process below.


Technology is big news, so I decided to start with a layer of newspaper, pulled from the business section, on articles about some new technology.  It's hard to see in the scan, but the text is more noticeable in real-life.

I used Decoupage medium because it's fairly easy to write over.  I glued down strips and placed them with the text going in different directions so it would be more of a design element than actual text.  In the long run, this didn't matter too much, because so much was covered.  I hadn't decided what I would do at this point though, so I was keeping my options open.


I used a thin wash of Martha Stewart's Canteloupe acrylic paint to cover everything, and applied dabs of Artichoke, just to break things up.


I used Sharpie Brush Tip pens to get started.  Because there is a layer of newspaper and glue medium, the Sharpies don't bleed through to the back of the page as they normally would.  Notice that I blacked out one area. Later, I write my word using a Sakura Moonlight Gellyroll pen.


The second type of pen I used were Kuretake's Clean Color.  It doesn't really matter what type of pen or marker you use, but you want to be careful about interaction and whether a pen will write over the glue or medium you used.  For instance, I used the Sharpies first, because the Clean Colors are water-soluble.  That means anything wet would make them smear (and the Sharpies are wet).  It also means that while they write on the gel medium surface, they take a while to dry.  After this step I let the page sit overnight.  Even then I had to be careful not to rub against the Clean Color areas.

It's always wise to test in a small area if you aren't familiar with how your pen or marker will work on a surface. Remember, that the addition of acrylic paint, glue or gel medium of any kind changes the surface of your paper.


I finished up using Sakura's Moonlight Gellyroll pens, and as usual forgot to photograph that part. Ah well, you get the gist.  

Comments