Journal52 2015 Week 13: Spring Clean #Journal52 #ArtJournal #GelliPlate

I mentioned on Tuesday that I'd been having problems with inspiration when doing the Journal52 prompts.

I did get some ideas when it came to the Spring Cleaning prompt, but the problem was that I didn't want to do any of them.  I thought about it for a while.  It would be silly to do something I didn't want to do.  That isn't the reason for the prompts or why I'm doing them.

So, thought about what I did want to do.  I've been doing a lot of watercolor painting, so I wanted to do something different.  I hadn't been doing anything with texture for a while, and I did want to do something with a 3D feel.  I had some patterned squares that I'd done for practice with my 3Doodler pen.  I wanted to use those.  The plastic from the 3Doodler pen doesn't stick to paper though, so I knew I'd have to use something to glue it down.

Ah! I hadn't done anything with a glue gun, for a while.  I was set and ready to go.


As with the last prompt, I decided to use a background that I made using a Gelli Arts gel printing plate,


The thing with these printing plates is that you can get several prints using the same paint.  I had just a little bit of color left, mostly the Primary blue acrylic paint, so I smoothed it out and ran a comb in circles to get some pattern.



A little bit of yuck color (where I mixed the red, blue and yellow together) was left, and I wanted something a little brighter, so I covered the entire page with red and teal acrylic paint.  Teal is a more opaque paint, so it covered almost completely where I applied that.  The red paint was more transparent and allowed the circular pattern to show through.

That's one thing about art journaling.  You do a lot of layering, and often, you cover up a good portion of what you've already done.  You don't have to do that, but the whole point of art journaling is the doing.  It doesn't matter if you cover things up when you're in the flow.  That also means if you don't like something--layer over it.  BUT, if you cover over something you like, you still had the pleasure of creating that something.  Feel free when you art journal.  Don't get involved with what's good or bad--just let it flow.

I know I went on about the yuck color in my backgrounds.  But I knew why that color happened, and I wanted to explain it so those unfamiliar with color theory would know how to avoid it, or realize why it was happening in there work.

Being in the flow at this point, I forgot to take further photos, but once my paint was dry, I laid down the 3Doodle plastic pieces and moved them around the page to decide on my layout.

I used several pieces of the plastic. Little snippets that I cut off to smooth things out, and shapes that I did for practice.  Once I knew where I wanted them, I used the glue gun to glue them down.  They don't show up too well in the photo. but in real life, the colors show through the glue.


Once the glue dried, I once again used my J. Herbin Brush Pen (I'm giving away 4 of these this week-go here to enter.  Giveaway ends 4/12 at 11:59 PDT) and Sakura's Gellyroll pens, namely metallic gold and silver and Moonlight florescent yellow.


So over all what does this page have to do with Spring Cleaning?  I actually forgot what the prompt was while I was doing the page, lol.  But I think the gelly roll doodles look a bit like streams of water from a hose, so I'll say this is a picture of bits and pieces being washed away in the process of Spring Cleaning.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Comments

  1. I know exactly where you are at when it comes to SPRING CLEANING!!! So much better to try and forget it by doing something really fun....ANYTHING ART!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment