Idealized Painting Two #watercolor #ZoltanSzabo #IdealizedPainting

Last Friday, I shared the first of a series of Idealized Paintings that I've been playing with (with which I've been playing). I discovered the technique in Zoltan Szabo's 70 Favorite Watercolor Techniques, though I think it's one you'll recognize.  It's difficult to find instruction for, at least under the term 'Idealized', so there may well be a different term for it.

I changed brushes from Friday's attempt, using a 1 inch flat instead of a size 16 round.  This made it easier to capture the broad shapes so essential to the technique.

No reference photo was used.  Rather than starting with a fixed idea of the trees, I painted the shapes, and then found the trees among them.


Comments

  1. This is lovely!

    I'm starting to play more with various simple art media. Do you have a favorite Watercolor 101 source? Or maybe even Remedial Watercolor? Also, do you think a person should be able to sketch (enough to make themselves happy) before doing watercolors? Do you have an opinion on watercolor pencils? I don't think I remember seeing you using them, though I have been out of blogreading mode for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't have a favorite 101 to speak of, but if I were just starting and had the time, I'd probably subscrib to something like Art Tutor (https://www.arttutor.com/how-it-works) or ArtistNetworkTV (https://www.artistsnetwork.tv/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paidsearch&utm_campaign=atv&gclid=CPrDotXi_sYCFVFsfgod0ikO3w). Both are a monthly subscription ($14.95 and 19.95 respectively) so they'd are expensive over the long run, but I've tried both for a month and there is much to be learned if you have the time and ambition to use them for that length of time. For the fee, you get access to videos, not just in watercolor, but nearly any type of art you can think of, with many different teachers to choose from. I liked ArtistNetworkTV a bit better, but think Art Tutor might be better for someone just starting out as they keep things more basic. Of course,if you have acces to the library, which is free, there are tons of books. The one I mention above is a good choice. I haven't played with watercolor pencils very much. They seem like they take a lot of effort for the color you get out of them. They are nice for covering smaller areas, or if you will be working in a small space without room for a palette or water glass. I like water-soluble crayon better, like the Neo-Color II's or Gelatos because you can spread the oclor faster. Neither compare with the effects you can get with actual watercolor paint. I'd rather go with a waterbrush and a cheap pan set like the Koi or Cotman watercolor sets.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I'll check out your suggestions. :) I asked about watercolor pencils because I already have some, purchased many years ago by "mistake" (thought they were just regular colored pencils).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment